Thursday, November 27, 2008

GRAB THE CAMERA, THE TABLE IS SET!


I was sharing with our church last Sunday that our family has this strange tradition. When we gather for holidays and special occasions, prior to saying the prayer over the meal, we grab a camera and take a picture… not of the people… of the food! I’m not exactly sure why we do that. Maybe it’s because we work so hard to prepare the meal and it’s really quite a culinary masterpiece that evokes a response of pausing to admire our collective efforts and to permanently capture a snapshot so we can remember.

Sharing this really DID have something to do with the sermon. We were talking about God creating for 6 days, then resting on the 7th day. (Genesis 2:2-3) Why did he do that? Maybe that seventh day was about God stepping back to admire his beautiful creation. So when we work 6 rest 1, when we remember the sabbath, we pause to admire God, to worship Him, and admire His handiwork saying, “yes, this is an incredible God of all creation!” It’s the only command with “remember” before it. (Exodus 20:9-11)

Today I had the privilege of hosting Thanksgiving dinner at my home. And in keeping with tradition, we reached for our cameras. So here’s a picture of our table, this time with people in the scene. (my sister, Debbie, brother-in-law, Rick and my mom). I'm very thankful. I hope you had a Happy Thanksgiving!

2 comments:

Dave Kidd said...

I caqn just see you before the marriage supper of the Lamb... Click-click click! :)

Donna Barrett said...

Hahaha! You know it, David!