Sunday, June 15, 2008

My Fathers' Day Thoughts

It was a moment frozen in time but I didn't really stop. I thought of him this morning when I put my guitar back in the case at the end of the church service. He was meticulous about the gentle care of musical instruments, always positioning the guitar strap in the case in such a way to avoid pressure and fold overs.

I grinned to myself this afternoon when, during my shopping trip looking for hanging flower baskets, I bought a flame broiled burger and roasted ear of corn from an outside vendor at the farmer's market. "Now that's the kind of Fathers' Day 'dinner' my dad would have appreciated,” I thought to myself. Two reasons: It was inexpensive. When we'd take him to an upscale restaurant, he would comment on how we just "bought a whole lot of atmosphere". Secondly, I remember him comparing home grown, fresh corn on the cob to lobster. Not just because they both taste best dripping in butter. He said, "Corn tastes best when it's picked from the stalk and dropped right into the boiling water ... like a live lobster."

Those were some of the simple memories I treasure the most. What a guy! Gone but never forgotten. Happy Father's Day, Dad.

No comments: